What is Hero Pose?
This is a simple yoga pose which is rarely used for meditative practices. Yet we feel that for many people it will be more comfortable than Sukhasana, since there is a larger area of contact with the ground. Hero pose in Sanskrit is known as Virasana, Vira means a hero, warrior, champion and asana means yoga pose. This sitting posture is done by keeping the knees together, spreading the feet and resting them by the side of the rips. The pose is good for meditation and pranayama. It has many benefits; safety, precautions and tips have been enumerated here.
Hero Pose step by step technique
- Kneel on the floor. Keep the knees together and spread the feet about 18 inches apart.
- Rest the buttocks on the floor, but not the body on the feet. The feet are kept by the side of the thighs, the inner side of each calf touching the outer side of its respective thigh. Keep the toes pointing back and touching the floor. Keep the wrists on the knees, palms facing up, and join the tips of the thumbs and forefingers. Keep the other fingers extended. Stretch the back erect.
- Stay in this position as long as you can, with deep breathing.
- Now interlock the fingers and stretch the arm straight over the head, palms up.
- Stay in this position for a minute with deep breathing.
- Exhale, release .the finger lock and place the palms on the soles, bend forward and rest the chin on the knees.
- Stay in this position for a minute with normal breathing.
- Inhale, raise the trunk up, bring the feet forward and relax.
Variations and Modifications
- If you find it difficult to perform the pose as described above, try placing the feet one above the other and rest the buttocks on them. Gradually move the toes further apart, separate the feet and bring them to rest outside the thighs. Then, in time the buttocks will rest properly on the floor and the body will not rest on the feet.
- Secondly one can place Yoga blocks and blanket below the buttock to have spine, feet and legs alignment.
- It can also be done simply by putting either the Yoga block or blanket below the butt.
Hero Pose Yoga Benefits
- Virasana yoga pose cures rheumatic pains in the knees and gout.
- Stretches the thighs, knees and ankles
- The yogasana is good for flat feet.
- Due to the stretching of the ankles and the feet, proper arches will be formed.
- Those suffering from pain in the heels or growth of cakaneal spurs there will get relief and the spurs will gradually disappear.
- The pose can even be done immediately after food and will relieve heaviness in the stomach and helps in releasing of gas.
- Reduces swelling of legs during pregnancy.
- Helps to relieve the symptoms of menopause.
- It helps to make your spine align and facilitates smooth breathing.
- It helps to enhance blood circulation in the legs region.
Hero Pose important facts
|Hero Pose information||Virasana Facts|
|English name||Hero pose|
|How to pronounce?||veer-AHS-uh-nuh|
|Meaning of Virasana||Vira means Hero, Asana-Yoga pose|
|Chakras||Swadisthana Chakra, Muladhara Chakra|
|Doshas||Pitta and Kapha|
- Knee or ankle injury
- Heart problems
- Feeble legs
Follow up Pose
- Badhha Konasana
Beginners shouldn’t be in rush to have perfection. One should go with patience and practice. Placing the buttock on the surface between the feet is not as easy as it seems to be. It needs happened after practice. However, those who is initially practicing the yoga pose should keep blanket or yoga block below the buttock.
- One shouldn’t practice it in a hurried way.
- Your weight should equally distribute in the buttock touch area.
- Press your feet equally to the ground.
- One shouldn’t cross the one’s range of limits while practicing it.
- While practicing virasana, special focus should be given on knees.
- If you have knee pain, you can place block or blanket under the buttock.
- If feet cramps in your feet, do massage it to get relieve.
- Initially better to practice it in the presence of a yoga teacher.
- If you have any medical issue, better to talk to your doctor before practicing the yoga pose.
- The pregnant women should do it only if they don’t feel any stretch on the abdomen. Better to practice in the presence of a therapist.
Tips to perform Hero pose
One can master in practicing Virasana with time. However, few tips should be kept in mind while performing the pose.
- Weight should be equally across both sit bones.
- Your feet should press equally into the floor.
- One should go ahead slowly with the pose.
- Try to keep your feet directly in line with your shins.
- If you are experiencing any issues while practicing the pose, better to back out of the pose.
- Feet and ankles should be in line with the hips.